Permanent Positions. Internships. Tips for job seekers. Advice for employers seeking awesome candidates.
RMS Members: remember that you can always post jobs to the listserve to reach 400-500 individuals for free. Just log in, go to My Profile, My Features, and Elist.
RMS Job Board
Signing up above to the River Management Job Posting service will allow your position to be distributed to thousands of schools, recruiters, and job matching services beyond the scope of out membership. The service will broaden your reach when seeking interns or specialists, perhaps through new professional circles (e.g., law, civil engineering, recreational therapy, etc.). Click here to go to the RMS Job Board.
(Note: We try to maintain our list of open positions. Sometimes position descriptions do not include closing dates
Permanent, Full Time
Outreach Notices: The Gold Beach and Powers Ranger Districts of the Rogue River-Siskiyou National Forest will soon be advertising to fill two positions:
1) Permanent GS-0401-11 Recreation Program Manager position. The duty station is Gold Beach, OR. The purpose of this outreach notice is to inform prospective applicants of this opportunity and help us determine the area of consideration for this vacancy announcement. If you are interested, please complete the attached outreach response form by July 29, 2016. For additional information about the position, please contact Tina Lanier (District Ranger) at (541) 247-3601 or email@example.com or Lorelei Haukness (Recreation Program Manager) at (541) 247-3640 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
2) Permanent, Seasonal GS-0462-5/6/7 Forestry Technician (Wild & Scenic Rivers/ Trails/Wilderness/Developed Recreation) - Guaranteed minimum of 18 pay periods (or nine months) of work a year. The duty station is Gold Beach, OR. The purpose of this outreach notice is to inform prospective applicants of this opportunity. If you are interested, please complete the attached outreach response form by July 15, 2016. For additional information about the position, please contact Lorelei Haukness (Recreation Program Manager) at 541-247-3640 or email@example.com.
US Forest Service Partnership Coordinator - Please share this with all who have a passion for Partnership.
We are trying to find that great person to break some new ground in Partnerships and help our region take Partnerships to the next level. Our position for the Partnership Coordinator GS-0301-13 is now open. It is Vacancy Announcement 16-03-275946G-MB.
[Outreach Notice] Arthur Carhart National Wilderness Training Center Director The Forest Service will soon be advertising this exciting opportunity for highly motivated individuals to be considered for this full-time position in Missoula, MT. The person in this position works closely with the Director of Wilderness and Wild & Scenic Rivers in the National Forest System (NFS) Deputy Area, Director of the National Landscape Conservation System in the BLM, Director of the National Refuge System, FWS, and Director of the Visitor and Resource Protection Division of the NPS. These positions comprise the Washington Office executive level interagency Wilderness Policy Council coordinating management across the National Wilderness Preservation System. This notification is circulated to inform prospective applicants of this upcoming opportunity and to determine interest in the position. While this position is a complex government position due to the interagency administrative organization, it may be advertised so applicants without government experience would be considered. In order to advertise this position open to non-governmental candidates, response to this outreach notice needs to include people with high caliber adult wilderness education and training expertise. The decision on advertising this vacancy announcement government-wide or open to non-government candidates will be made following analysis of response to this outreach notice. There will be Transfer of Station benefit offered for this position as a recruitment incentive. Interested parties should submit an indication of interest by July 12, 2015.
Idaho Rivers United Conservation Director - This is the senior staff position responsible for directing IRU’s conservation program. This position requires a deep commitment to the mission of IRU and a strong passion for protecting rivers and the species that depend on rivers for their survival. Additionally, this position requires a broad skillset that includes strong natural resource, public land, legal, political, collaborative, communication and social skills. Open until filled.
Reed College seeks an Outdoor Specialist/Guide - closes July 15.
The Grand Staircase Escalante Partners (GSEP), the “friends” organization for the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, seek an Executive Director for this great non-profit based in Kanab UT, working on woody invasives removal, offering a variety of citizen science programs, and conducting paleontological research and collection. Please review the Position Description and Performance Evaluation.
East Carolina University's Campus Recreation and Wellness is looking for an Assistant Director of Adventure Leadership. Open until filled.
Coordinator of Outdoor Excursions - University of California, Riverside. Responsibilities include working with the trip and rental programs, staff training, leadership development and mentoring. Jen Hopper, University of California, Riverside
Western Carolina University seeks an Instructor of Parks and Recreation Management with an Outdoor Leadership Focus
Green Mountain College is pleased to accept applications for a full-time Adventure Education faculty position to begin August of 2016. Though a Ph.D. is preferred, applicants with a masters degree and excellent experience will be considered.
Northland College, on the south shore of Lake Superior, is hiring for an endowed professorship at either the Assistant or Associate professor level. This person will work to promote sustainability through outdoor and environmental education and outreach. Please see the attached position description, or visit http://www.northland.edu/about/jobs/
The Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) Western Water Assessment (WWA) is seeking a Professional Research Assistant to serve as the Utah Research Integration Specialist, based in Salt Lake City.
Outdoor Adventure and Marketing GA Position - The University of Akron
Student Recreation and Wellness Services at The University of Akron is seeking an energetic, responsible, positive individual to serve a unique role as the Graduate Assistant in both the Outdoor Adventure Program and in Marketing. This position will assist the Manager of Outdoor Adventure in the continued development and daily operations of the program through supervision of planned Adventure programs and the personal and professional development of students, faculty, and staff. In addition, this position assists in the marketing and promotion of the department, working closely with campus partners and student groups. Applicants must possess experience and knowledge of outdoor adventure programming in a collegiate recreation setting. See a complete job description on the University of Akron website here.
The University of West Georgia will reopen the application process for the Graduate Assistant of Outdoor Recreation immediately.
The University of Dayton (UD) Fitz Center for Leadership in Community is seeking two Graduate Assistants for the Rivers Institute; one starting fall 2016 and the second in January 2017. The UD Rivers Institute is a collaboration of students, faculty, staff and community partners who engage in inter-disciplinary and experiential learning, civic engagement, and sustainable community development around rivers; the strategic natural resource central to communal, economic, aesthetic and ecological vitality of the Dayton region and beyond.
Grad Assistantship - Stephen F. Austin State University
Internships, Seasonal and Part-Time
Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College - Outdoor Recreation Leadership Internship
19.5 paid hours per week @ $8 /hour, with the other 20.5 being volunteer hours.
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Environmental Stewards Program (Available year-round)
What Can Stewards Do?
- Water/Vegetation monitoring
- GPS use and GIS mapping
- Grant Writing
- Interpretive Services
- Program Development
- Invasive Species Management
- Outreach and Education
- And other hands-on work related to environmental stewardship
Benefits of Using Environmental Stewards
- Stewards are locally recruited but logistically supported by ES staff
- Environmental Stewards provides payroll, worker’s comp, and liability insurance
- Environmental Stewards can provide an AmeriCorps Educational Award based on the amount of hours served
- ES already has some national cooperative agreements with land management agencies – Stewards can be placed easily, they can be, but do not have to be students and are selected by the hiring agency or organization.
- Stewards can potentially qualify for the Public Land Corps non-competitive hiring authority, and/or the PLC Direct Hire authority.
- ES is an official 21st Century Conservation Service Corps (21CSC) program – Steward’s work supports the national efforts of the 21CSC.
How to Partner With Us describes the Environmental Stewards program. You can find the application at www.environmentalstewards.org under the “partner” button
Tips for Everyone
Productivity Tips: try one today!
For Job Seekers
Searching in the Digital Age: Pre-Interview Tips
5 ways to tackle fear and uncertainty in your career (idealist.org)
Job Seeker Strategy
From Intern to Employee: Tips for Making a Lasting Impression
Finding your Dream Job
4 Tips for Job Searching in 2015
3 Tips for Preparing your Resume
3 tips for keeping your job search on track
How to find a job through USAJobs
Updating your resume
Having trouble finding the time to search all the available positions on River Management Society? Let us do the work for you!
Create a personal job alert and new jobs that match your search criteria will be emailed directly to you.
Hiring? Need help connecting with candidates? Here are some helpful recruiting reminders to increase your exposure to qualified active AND passive job seekers:
- Use a descriptive job title - job seekers often search by keyword
- Upgrade your listings - make them stand out from the rest
- Highlight perks - make sure job seekers see your competitive advantage over other employers ... Read on...
Improve your reach to diverse and veteran candidates
Expose your jobs to top candidates! Here are some tips.
Are you recruiting top talent? Here are some tips for exposing your job opportunities to the best possible candidates.
Three Easy Tips on Recruiting Top Notch Candidates
Having trouble attracting those hard to reach candidates? Try these three tips to increase your recruitment activity.
Find high performers for your position!