Permanent Positions. Internships. Tips for job seekers. Advice for employers seeking awesome candidates.
RMS Members: remember that you can always post jobs to the listserve to reach 400-500 individuals for free. Just log in, go to My Profile, My Features, and Elist.
RMS Job Board
Signing up above to the River Management Job Posting service will allow your position to be distributed to thousands of schools, recruiters, and job matching services beyond the scope of out membership. The service will broaden your reach when seeking interns or specialists, perhaps through new professional circles (e.g., law, civil engineering, recreational therapy, etc.). Click here to go to the RMS Job Board.
(Note: We try to maintain our list of open positions. Sometimes position descriptions do not include closing dates
Permanent, Full Time
Lake Champlain Basin Program Aquatic Invasive Species Management and New England Interstate Water Pollution Control Commission (NEIWPCC) Environmental Analyst Technical Associate LCBP.
University of California Riverside - Outdoor Excursions Program Coordinator
REI Outdoor School Instructor - Greensboro, Raleigh, San Diego, Phoenix, and other locations
Idaho Rivers United Conservation Director - This is the senior staff position responsible for directing IRU’s conservation program. This position requires a deep commitment to the mission of IRU and a strong passion for protecting rivers and the species that depend on rivers for their survival. Additionally, this position requires a broad skillset that includes strong natural resource, public land, legal, political, collaborative, communication and social skills. Open until filled.
Temporary and Seasonal Positions, Internships
Bureau of Land Management Outdoor Recreation Planner, GS-0023-09/11, El Dorado Hills, CA BLM is seeking two Outdoor Recreation Planners to join the interdisciplinary team on a temporary assignment in the Mother Lode Field Office. All DOI employees are able to apply. Closes 4/21/2017
South Fork American River Parks River Patrol (seasonal) - The County of El Dorado is conducting this recruitment to fill one (1) seasonal, extra help vacancies for the Parks Division of the Chief Administrative Office located in Placerville. This recruitment will also establish a list which may be used up to three months, to fill future extra help vacancies throughout the County. Closes May 2. See 'River Instructor - Extra Help'.
University of Massachusetts, Lowell - Summer Kayak Center and Outdoor Adventure Internship/Practicum
The State of Utah is hiring a Seasonal State Lands Monitor to patrol the Colorado and Green Rivers and the Dalton Wells and Willow Springs areas to make contact with boaters and other users/campers regarding Leave No Trace principles. This position is ideal for someone wanting to enjoy the outdoor landscape of Moab and surrounding areas. Go to this link and enter Job ID # 1253718 to see the position information and to apply. Closes 4/2/2017
Fellowships, Graduate Assistants
CORE Outdoors - Graduate Assistant Position, Valdosta, Georgia
Florida Gulf Coast University Outdoor Pursuits Graduate Assistant
Corps Positions, Internships, Seasonal and Part-Time
Environmental Stewards Program (Available year-round)
What Can Stewards Do?
- Water/Vegetation monitoring
- GPS use and GIS mapping
- Grant Writing
- Interpretive Services
- Program Development
- Invasive Species Management
- Outreach and Education
- And other hands-on work related to environmental stewardship
Benefits of Using Environmental Stewards
- Stewards are locally recruited but logistically supported by ES staff
- Environmental Stewards provides payroll, worker’s comp, and liability insurance
- Environmental Stewards can provide an AmeriCorps Educational Award based on the amount of hours served
- ES already has some national cooperative agreements with land management agencies – Stewards can be placed easily, they can be, but do not have to be students and are selected by the hiring agency or organization.
- Stewards can potentially qualify for the Public Land Corps non-competitive hiring authority, and/or the PLC Direct Hire authority.
- ES is an official 21st Century Conservation Service Corps (21CSC) program – Steward’s work supports the national efforts of the 21CSC.
How to Partner With Us describes the Environmental Stewards program. You can find the application at www.environmentalstewards.org under the “partner” button
Tips for Everyone
Productivity Tips: try one today!
For Job Seekers
Is your resume up-to-date with River Management Society?
Ensure your most recent resume is posted on River Management Society so the jobs can come to you. Don't currently have your resume posted? Upload it today!
Through our career-searching partner network you can
- Expose your resume to top employers who search the database daily. No contact information is shared with the employer unless you say so.
- Search open jobs and weed out any irrelevant ones using robust search filters.
- Be the first to get job alerts when a job that meets your criteria is posted.
Visit the RMS Job Board today!
Other job-searching tips...
Searching in the Digital Age: Pre-Interview Tips
5 ways to tackle fear and uncertainty in your career (idealist.org)
Job Seeker Strategy
From Intern to Employee: Tips for Making a Lasting Impression
Finding your Dream Job
4 Tips for Job Searching in 2015
3 Tips for Preparing your Resume
3 tips for keeping your job search on track
How to find a job through USAJobs
Updating your resume
Having trouble finding the time to search all the available positions on River Management Society? Let us do the work for you!
Create a personal job alert and new jobs that match your search criteria will be emailed directly to you.
Hiring? Need help connecting with candidates? Here are some helpful recruiting reminders to increase your exposure to qualified active AND passive job seekers:
- Use a descriptive job title - job seekers often search by keyword
- Upgrade your listings - make them stand out from the rest
- Highlight perks - make sure job seekers see your competitive advantage over other employers ... Read on...
Here are a few hiring tips:
Improve your reach to diverse and veteran candidates
Expose your jobs to top candidates! Here are some tips.
Are you recruiting top talent? Here are some tips for exposing your job opportunities to the best possible candidates.
Three Easy Tips on Recruiting Top Notch Candidates
Having trouble attracting those hard to reach candidates? Try these three tips to increase your recruitment activity.
Find high performers for your position!